Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central for Fund Management
A Renewable closed-end investment fund owner
Our client (name withheld for confidentiality) is a leading independent infrastructure and private equity investment firm with over £6.5 billion of assets under its management.
They manage money for more than 28,000 private investors and some of the world’s leading financial institutions, government organisations, pension funds, and insurance companies.
Many of the investment funds managed are in the renewables / solar sectors.
What was the business challenge?
We started using Xero much earlier, and it worked well for us initially. However, as the number of funds grew (over 200) Xero could no longer cut the mustard.
We were being held back with people working unreasonable hours. This did not support our growth.
Another way had to be found. A cloud solution that was built for the way we wanted to work. A modern system that was flexible and more cost-effective than Xero.
What did Cbiz do to address the business challenges?
Fast Analysis & Reporting
• Created common reporting templates for standard weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports. For use from companywide to fund detail.
• Quickly run reports for a single fund, a portfolio or across all funds.
• Gained up to date real-time insight via Business Intelligence platforms (Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, etc.).
• All our processes and workflows are in one system (no more Excel-based “work arounds”).
• Payments & Documents like Purchase Orders, etc., are approved from one place across funds.
• Security allows us to grant individual users access to just the funds they need to work in.
• Enable simple and reconciled group VAT Reporting, with approved electronic submission to HMRC (Making Tax Digital for VAT).
• Save hours by creating a new fund (was previously a new company) in a fraction of the time (within an hour).
• Quickly able to transact across funds in a single journal.
Manage more funds
• No time wasted switching in and out of different companies.
• Save time creating duplicate records with a shared G/L Accounts, Customers & Vendors, without losing the ability to see balances by fund.
• Write your journals in Excel and easily import them into your accounts.
• Manage transactions and reports of all companies via a single user login.
• Download one bank statement across all funds and get things matched fast with auto reconcile.
• Create single Journals that could span across find & businesses in one batch.
• Make payments across investment funds quickly and easily from one screen.
How We Helped A Leading Fund Management Company
What measurable benefits have you seen?
With the implementation of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central solution (tailored by Cbiz), we could save significant time in the day-to-day management of our accounts and daily activities.
Reporting and budgeting was once a big headache, with the new standard reporting templates we set up as an automated process that makes it faster and easier. This allows our finance team to focus on exception management rather than doing everything in long-winded ways. And all without thinking about IT and without the slow manual repetition of our previous accountancy solution.
When we need new processes or have new ideas, we can easily talk to Cbiz. They listen to what we want to achieve, and they offer practical, down to earth ideas and solutions.
With our new finance system and the freedom, it has given our team; we can focus our time on the exceptions and growth. Creating and working across multiple funds is easy, and we can look at individual funds as quickly as across our portfolios.
The following video demonstrates how multiple companies can be managed from with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central using the CBIZ extension – Business Companies.
From quick-start solutions to complex requirements, CBIZ can help. Contact us today to discuss your requirements.